Thursday 3 June 2010

A closer look at The Kingfisher Cafe in Walcott as recommended by Simon Sadler

Kingfisher Cafe & Ice Cream Parlour
Coast Road
Norwich
Norfolk
NR12 0AP


It faces the sea on Coast Road in Walcott and is easy to find.




There is plenty of seats outside and a cracking view.




The food here is bloody amazing and there is plenty of it.




Back in May whilst The Grit were doing a soundcheck at The Man on the moon pub in Cambridge Simon Sadler was telling me over a pint about a Cafe near to where he lived. He was telling me about how good the fry ups were at The Kingfisher Cafe in Walcott. Shortly after that he sent me a photo and told me about a fry up he had just had there, it looked and sounded well nice so I had to try it for myself. Me and Ella took a trip to Walcott in her pink Beetle and discovered it was well worth the trip!

Upon entering - You walk into the large cafe area and the guy on the till greets you. There are plenty of tables that are clean with clear menus displaying the selection of fry ups on offer. If the weather is good there is a large outside area facing the sea. 9/10

Service - I liked the way two people bought the food out so it all arrived at once, they check to see what sauces you need and bring them straight away. 9/10

Contents - 1 sausage, lots of black pudding, 2 bacon, fried egg, fried potato slices, mushrooms grilled tomato and toast & butter. 8/10

Presentation - Everything sat side by side in perfect harmony on the plate and looked really impressive. 9/10

The food - The sausage and bacon were amazing quality and I imagine were sourced locally, the black pudding was the best I have ever eaten! Although im not a huge fan of fried potatoes on fry ups these were perfectly crispy but not greasy and complimented everything else really nicely. Delicious mushrooms that were not dripping in fat, a perfect fried egg and a tasty grilled tomato. The toast was sliced thickly and covered in butter. 9/10

Value for money - Worth every penny due to the quality of the food and size of it. 8/10

Veggie option - Yes

Overall - This place is amazing, the owners are obviously proud of their fry ups and the quality shines through. It took me a while to decide what to order as there are 4 options available, 3 meat and 1 veggie. I payed £6.20 but for £7.40 another option is to lose the black pudding but get an extra egg, sausage, beans and fried bread. It's a bit off the beaten track but if your out that way do yourself a favour and try it. 9/10

9 comments:

  1. you lack a price rating...I would have thought £6.20 would be a bit of a 7/10 kinda rating, seems pricey to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go out of my way to have Breakfast there quite often, being a member of the 'Norwich Breakfast Club' (A Motorcycle Club) we visit many cafe's on our travels and this one in my opinion is by far the best. the price you pay is reflected in quality.
    NikGrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to go to Walcott on my holidays frequently in the 80s and this café was amazing even then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the big breakfast at £7-40, if you can eat it all then you are as big as me or will be.Even I stumble on that one.Quality,taste and service, after the floods I might change the name to Pheonix or Aphrodite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one liked the "cracking view" comment, eh? Good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if anyone had noticed! ;-)

      Delete
    2. I noticed the cracking view, and laughed. As a local resident of Walcott, they say the locals know where to eat, and I eat at the Kingfisher. The food is top notch, and all meat used is sourced locally and is not that cheap pink stuff full of cereal, I can't praise Jackie and Frenchie enough for what they put in because we certainly take it out, try their Sunday Roast, wowser, bootiful as we say in Norfolk.

      Delete
  6. Visited this cafe this morning and the service and food was faultless , will definitely return !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. December 2023 & I’m pleased to say that the quality of the food, location & services remain top notch. It also remains the case that you get what you pay for here but the price genuinely reflects the quality of the locally sourced ingredients.

    ReplyDelete