Sunday 29 August 2010

The Copper Kettle - Norwich

The Copper Kettle
Lower Goat Lane
Norwich
Norfolk
NR2 1EL



Opening Hours
Monday - Saturday 8.30am - 04.00pm
Sunday 09.00am - 03.00pm

Limited metered parking available on St Giles Street


The Copper Kettle is located in the popular Norwich Lanes area of the city centre.




Inside it is clean, light and spacious.




Copper kettles line the window ledge looking out onto the street outside.




When I visited at 11.am only one other customer was there. I later discovered it was 90 year old Harold Walpole enjoying a cup of tea, I hadn't seen him for ages and it was good to have a chat!




Each table had a good selection of condiments and sauces, if only the sauces were the only things that were economy brand.




A good strong mug of tea for £1.10




The food arrives nicely presented and there is plenty on the plate.




The Copper Kettle in Norwich is a place I have passed hundreds of times over the years but had never got round to going into until now. According to their excellent website they have been there for 50 years and many people had recommended it to me so I was quite keen to see what all the fuss was about.

Upon entering - There is the main seating area and a slightly raised seating area towards the back. As I walked up to the counter the friendly lady told me to choose a table and then bought me a menu over. I ordered the Best value super deluxe breakfast for £7.50 as I wanted to try everything, a mug of tea was an extra £1.20. 8/10

Service - The lady taking my order was very friendly and efficient so all good. 8/10

Contents - 2 sausages, 2 bacon, black pudding, 2 fried eggs, fried potato slices, 2 hash browns, fried bread, beans, mushrooms & tinned tomatoes. 9/10

Presentation - A lot of food to fit on the plate but they managed it quite nicely and neatly. 7/10

The food - Everything was cooked nicely but the value sausages were very bland. The bacon & black pudding were nice but not outstanding. The hash browns, beans and tinned tomatoes were nice and the mushrooms were ok. The fried bread was like it always turns out when you make it at home, not crunchy enough and drenched in oil. I felt a few quality ingredients would have made a huge difference. 6/10

Value for money - A lot of food for the money and I couldn't finish it. Fry-ups started at £3.50 if you wanted to spend less. 8/10

Veggie option - Yes, see website link above

Overall - A great place in a good location with friendly staff and service. The cutlery was wafer thin and almost hurt your hands as you cut into things, I have never come across such strange cutlery before! The food will fill you up and is cooked nicely but the economy ingredients is a bit of a let down. 7/10

1 comment:

  1. Worth another visit I think. I went today and the decor is updated, good quality butchers sausages and eggs fried to perfection. Was very plesently surprised.

    ReplyDelete