Saturday 2 October 2010

Cafe 91 - Norwich

**Now closed**

91 Upper St Giles Street
Norwich
NR2 1AB


Cafe 91 is located on the delightful Upper St Giles Street.




There are plenty of places to sit and eat.




At the back of the cafe the seating gets more comfortable.




Fresh flowers on each table but not a bottle of HP in sight.




The glass of orange juice kept me company whilst I waited 20 minutes for the food to arrive.




I was pleasantly surprised when the ketchup arrived!




Lettuce on a fry up was a first for me and beans would have been better, the food did all taste delicious though.




I had heard mixed views on Cafe 91 so I was eager to go along and find out for myself. I knew it was a more up market cafe than I would usually visit but was it any good? Well...

Upon entering - There is a counter to your left as you enter and tables are spread across 3 areas of the cafe. The area toward the back had comfy looking chairs but seemed busy so I picked a table in the middle section. The cafe has a waitress service, don't expect a smile though. 7/10

Service - I didn't have to wait very long for the waitress to bring me a menu and take my order. I did wait for what seems like an eternity for my food to arrive though and the place was half empty. I would usually always leave a tip when there is a waitress service but as none of the waitresses smiled at anyone at all I decided not to. 5/10

Contents - 1 sausage, 2 bacon, fried egg, mushroom, grilled tomatoes, toast & butter and wait for it.....
A sprig of lettuce covered in a wholegrain mustard dressing!! 6/10

Presentation - Well it looked ok but the toast would have looked better on a side plate, but then the small amount of food on the main plate would have become more apparent. 6/10

The food - A deliciously juicy pork sausage, good quality bacon that was cooked to perfection, a nicely fried egg and fried mushrooms, grilled tomatoes that were juicy and very tasty, the toast was nice but not very hot, the lettuce and mustard dressing was lovely! 9/10

Value for money - For a more up-market cafe I thought £5.95 was very reasonable and a glass of orange juice was included in the price too. 8/10

Veggie option - Yes

Overall - If you are going to have a waitress service a smile goes a long way. If you are advertising a full english breakfast google it first as lettuce is not the norm. The food tasted delicious, quality ingredients are used and the price seemed quite reasonable. 7/10

4 comments:

  1. I can't agree with Mr.inspector(?)in my opinion the service in cafe 91 is fantastic.Ladies are always smiled,helpful,polite and friendly to everyone!
    Food taste lovely.There is also a great value for money.
    Customers are different.Are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it says at the top of the page "The score I give on each establishment is purely given based on my findings on that particular day and is my personal opinion." I will happily revisit again and update my report if circumstances are different. Thanks for your feedback Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so whats the top 10 brekkies dude?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Norwich the best are..

    Harty's diner
    Street Cafe
    Bond Street Cafe
    Unthank Kitchen
    Pats Cafe
    Olives

    Other good places are:

    Bills in Brighton
    S&M in London
    Buttercross Tearooms in Bungay
    Kingfisher Cafe in Walcott

    ReplyDelete